Monday 10 March 2014

Make a Shell Art Frame Gift for Under $5


I have an aunt who is very dear to me. We share many interests, one of them being shell art. So when Christmas came along last year, I knew exactly what to give her.





HOW I MADE THIS

I went out and bought a simple, inexpensive frame. Then I dug out a 3mm (1/8 inch) MDF Board (Supawood) off-cut which was left after making the last trumeau mirror. Next, I picked out the shells from my collection  (I never return empty handed from the beach) and found some velvet ribbon to match the colour of the shells.

{See MATERIAL LIST at the bottom of this post}




I then drew out the design on the MDF, making sure the inner measurements match that of the inner measurements of the existing frame. Afterwards, I cut the board with a jigsaw and lightly sanded the edges for a smooth finish. Next, I glued the ribbon onto the board and finally added the shells... 




... et Voila! A Quick and easy job, finished in only a few hours the day before Christmas! I spent about $2 on this and my aunt was utterly thrilled with her gift!


So, to sum up...

MATERIAL LIST

1. Basic picture frame 
2. 3mm (1/8 inch) MDF board slightly larger than the frame
3. Ribbon 
4. Seashells
5. Ruler
6. Pencil
7. Scissors
8. Craft Glue
9. Jigsaw
10. Sandpaper


HOW TO CONSTRUCT

1. Draw out your design on the MDF board, ensuring that the inside measurements of the frame and that of your design coincide
2.  Cut MDF with jigsaw
3. Smooth edges of MDF board with sandpaper
4. Glue MDF board onto frame to form new frame front
5. Glue ribbon onto frame front
6. Glue shells onto ribbon



Now, months later, it's her birthday and I'm at it again. I will soon share with you what I've been creating with shells this time.

P.S. There are so many exquisite decor objects that can be created using seashells. Here are some of my favourites.

Tania
xxx 



This post was shared with:

#paintcourse #onlinecourse #paintfinishes #patina #art #shell #shellwork #shellart #beachcombing #frame #interior  #diy #diyproject #diycrafts #beachinteriors #crafts #handmade #handcrafted #homemade #howto #shabbychic #antique


No comments:

Post a Comment